11 February 2011

Zeppole

Yesterday I had an incredible experience that I have to share with you…. We were asked to go to a friends house in the afternoon for some Zeppole, which I had seen once before, around this time last year. They were in a pasticceria, which I presumed we would be having yesterday….but no, to my surprise they were home made by our friends. At some point during the afternoon all the ladies rushed into the kitchen to check on their rising dough-it was ready to be fried and sugar coated. They invited me into the kitchen to watch them and to taste these fresh and hot sensations.
Of course the recipe is a secret passed down from their mothers and their nonna’s. But some hints were given that some ingredients include:
potatoes
flour

eggs

sugar

salt
yeast
oil
caster sugar for dusting

A Zeppole is commonly a light, deep fried dough ball about 5cm in diameter, these doughnuts are then topped with sugar once they are cooked through and golden.
Zeppole are traditionally consumed on La Festa di San Giuseppe, on the 19th March, but are present in pastry shops from now until then.
They were absolutely delicious……hot and crisp on the outside and soft on the inside….this was a truly fantastic experience that I was lucky enough to be invited into and will never forget!!!


mmmmmm le Zeppole sono Buonissime!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment